Education and Childcare T Level
This course is aimed at learners who wish to develop their knowledge and skills working with children and young people aged 0–19.
- Course Type School Leaver
- Subject Area Healthcare, Childcare and Uniformed Protective Services
- Qualification T Level
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 3
- Course Length 2 years
This course is aimed at learners who wish to develop their knowledge and skills working with children and young people aged 0–19. The course is designed to ensure that learners have the knowledge and skills needed to progress into skilled employment or higher education. You will be assessed through external assessments and a substantial employer set project via practical assessments of skills.
The course is divided into core components (year 1) and occupational specialism components (year 2).
- Look at supporting education
- Consider safeguarding, health and safety and wellbeing of children and young people
- Study behaviour; child development; special educational needs and disability; working with parents, families, carers and other professionals
- Explore planning, observation and assessment of children and young people
- Plan and lead educational activities for children and young people
- Undertake reflective practice
Occupational Specialism components:
Early Years Educator:
- Be able to support and promote children’s play, development and early education
- Develop relationships with children to facilitate their development
- Plan, provide and review care, play and educational opportunities to enable children to progress
- Find out how to safeguard and promote the health, safety and well-being of children
- Work in partnership with colleagues, parents, carers and other professionals to support children’s development.
- Be able to support the class teacher to enhance children’s education, individually and in groups
- Plan, provide and review educational opportunities in collaboration with teachers and other adults
- Find out how to safeguard and promote the health, safety and wellbeing of children and young people
- Recognise, adapt and respond to individual children’s needs, including those with special educational needs and disability (SEND), to support development and access to the curriculum
Over the two years study of this course, you will:
- Study a core set of knowledge, concepts and skills. You will learn about childcare and education contexts, how a young person develops and how children with special educational needs interact with education
- Develop your English, maths and digital skills to industry standard and study specialist knowledge in specific areas
- Undertake 750 hours (over 2 years) in industry placements with employers in different settings. You will develop knowledge of the Early Years Foundation Stage and National Curriculum.
Choose this course if… you have enthusiasm and enjoy the prospect of being involved in the care, development and education of children and young people aged 0-19.
Next steps: You can progress directly into skilled employment in the education or childcare sector. You can also progress into higher education. The T Level study programme is eligible for UCAS points. Please check the UCAS website for more information.
- Entry Requirements
You will need six GCSEs at grade 4 or above (including English Language, Maths and Science). Learners progressing from a Level 2 course will need a Level 2 Diploma/Certificate with a good Merit profile, along with English and Maths GCSE at grade 4 or above. For learners wishing to pursue a career in Primary Teaching, you will require GCSE Science at grade 4 or above. Learners must have enthusiasm and motivation about working with children and young people.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or send us a message using our contact form: www.exe-coll.ac.uk/contact.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.
What our students think?
“I have found the course so interesting and enjoyable. The placement has offered us a new perspective on what we learn at College and helped us put our skills into practice. In the future I hope to go to university to study Midwifery.” Read more >
“I have enjoyed college life – meeting people and making new friends. I hope to go on to either the Level 2 Health and Social Care or Fast Track at Exeter College next. I would recommend Exeter College because it has a great support system for the learners which benefits young people – it is... Read more >
“I have really enjoyed the practical element of the Public Services course, we have been looking at the radio communications that the emergency services use which is really interesting. I also like the coursework, which suits me better than exams. After College I would like to go to university to study criminology and then hopefully work for the Police.” Read more >
You may also like View all Level 3 Courses View all Healthcare, Childcare and Uniformed Protective Services Courses
Health and Social Care and Early Years (T Level Transition Programme)
- Level: Level 2
- Duration: 1 year
Health T Level
- Level: Level 3
Public Services (Uniformed Protective Services)
- Level: Level 3
- Duration: 1-2 years