What is it like to study this course and how will I be assessed?
A Software Development Technician Apprentice will build simple applications for use in larger software developments. You will interpret design requirements for discrete components of the project under supervision, as well as testing software.
What topics will I study?
• How to test the functionality of code and use debugging tools
• Developing problem solving skills
• Understanding the structure of software applications and the software development cycle
• Support with the development of object-oriented, event-driven, or procedural programs from project briefs
• How to make connections between code and defined data sources as specified
• Understanding how to follow a set of functional and non-functional requirements
• Developing skills in communication within a team
• Understanding the principles of good interface design
What experiences will I get?
As an apprentice you work will 4 days a week and therefore gain valuble work experience.
You will also recieve a IFA Software Development Technician Apprenticeship qualification and if required: Functional Skills (English, Maths)
What are the entry requirements?
Maths and English GCSE, grade C/4 (or equivalent).
If you do not have these qualifications, our team will support you to gain these skills alongside your apprenticeship.
What facilities are there?
Use of IT Labs with full access to dedicated test environments. Work with up-to-date IDEs including
Visual Studio and be able to deploy using cloud technologies including Microsoft Azure.
Exeter College is one of only 12 colleges in the UK to be chosen as a Microsoft Showcase College;
the first of it's kind in Devon, championing the development of essential IT skills.
What can the course lead on to?
After this course you can progress onto the Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship
Are there any additional costs?
What support can I get?
What will this training cost me?