Commis Chef – Intermediate Apprenticeship
A commis chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and the most junior culinary role.
- Course Type Apprenticeship
- Subject Area Hospitality and Catering
- Qualification Apprenticeship
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 2
- Course Length Up to 2 years
A Commis Chef Apprentice will prepare food and carry out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef.
- Identify factors which influence the types of dishes and menus offered by the business
- Recognise how technology supports development and production
- Understand the principles of basic food preparation and cooking, taste, allergens, diet and nutrition
- Communicate with colleagues and team members from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures
- Basic business costing, yield of dishes, principles of supply chain and gross profit Understanding the principles of waste management
- Know how to support team members when the need arises
- Recognise the impact of seasonality on the availability, quality and price of ingredients
Example job roles include: Commis Chef/Chef Assistant/Junior Chef.
You will achieve:
- IFA Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship
- End Point Assessment
- If required: Functional Skills (English, Maths)
Next steps… Some Apprentices go into employment OR progress onto a Level 3 Chef De Partie Apprenticeship.
- Entry Requirements
Every employer is different and therefore the entry requirements can vary. As a guide, you ideally need GCSE grade 4 in English and Maths and in some cases ICT. However, we will work with you and provide additional support to help you achieve their requirements, either prior to your Apprenticeship via a pre-Apprenticeship or during the delivery of your programme.
The Laurence Building boasts new facilities throughout including an IT suite, modern kitchens, a skills academy and a stunning restaurant within the faculty; as well as being located in comfortable and pleasant surroundings.
- Additional Costs
You will need to buy a basic clothing, safety shoes, knife set and textbook.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email email@example.com.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Our next Open Event is on Wednesday 15th January 2020, 5pm-8pm. Visit our open events page to register today.
What our students think?
“My apprenticeship will help me take the next step in my career at St Austell Brewery and hopefully progress onto an Assistant or General Manager role. I’ve always wanted to understand the kitchen side of things and taking a Commis Chef Apprenticeship gives me a better understanding of the business as a whole.” Joey Harris,... Read more >
“Some businesses get stuck in their ways, but having an apprentice learning with the College can bring new ideas to your business. Apprentices get the opportunity to learn techniques and pick up influences that they might not have the opportunity to in their own company – it opens them up…” Read more >