Could a T Level be the Right Course for You?

Exeter College is one of the first colleges in the country – and the only one in Devon – to be offering new T Level qualifications from September 2020.  

The technical-based qualification aims to give 16-18-year-olds the chance to work towards the industry of their choice through a full-time, two-year study programme. Here’s our guide to what T Levels are and how they could be the right course for your future.

What are T Levels? 

The government describes T Levels as a ‘revolution in technical education in the UK’ and has named Exeter College as one of the first providers of these pioneering new qualifications. T Levels are the equivalent of three A Levels and their primary aim is to offer post-16 students a clear choice between academic and technical education. 

Providing students with a clear line of sight to industry by combining classroom learning with focused industry experience, a T Level programme lasts for two years and has been designed alongside employers and businesses. 

The course consists of 80% of time spent in the classroom gaining theoretical knowledge, whilst the remaining 20% is a valuable industry placement. 

The industry placement element ensures at least 45 days of industry experience over two years and will help students develop the skills, behaviours and knowledge that employers are looking for. 

Upon completing a T Level, students can go in a variety of directions.  The skills developed through the course could lead directly to employment, an Apprenticeship, a higher technical qualification or degree level studies.  

Is a T Level right for me? 

T Levels are for any post-16 students who have completed their GCSEs and are eager to develop technical skills with a view to moving in to a specific industry.  

T Level courses will give students the opportunity to gain a combination of technical knowledge and industry experience in a chosen field. 

Because they have been designed with businesses and employers in mind, T Levels are geared specifically towards equipping students with the skills, knowledge and expertise that will set them apart when seeking work in their chosen industry. 

What T Levels are there? 

T Level courses at Exeter College will start with three qualifications available to commence study in September 2020. T Levels in ConstructionDigital and Education and Childcare will launch in 2020, before further T Level routes roll out for September 2021.  

How do I apply for a T Level? 

Find the right T Level for you via our course search.  

If you want more information on one of our T Level courses then visit one of our upcoming Open Events or contact the College Advice Team on 01392 400600 or

Applications are open now for those wishing to start studying with Exeter College in 2020. Find out more about how to apply to study at Exeter College