What is it like to study this course and how will I be assessed?
CELTA is a valuable, internationally recognised qualification for adults who would like to teach ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) or EFL (English as a Foreign Language). The training is suitable for adults who have little or no previous language teaching experience. Applicants for the course should normally be aged 20+.
When is the course?
The course will run on Thursdays 9.30am – 5.15pm, from Thursday 1st November 2018 to 23rd May 2019, subject to viable trainee numbers. This is a part time course over 21 weeks.
What will I study on the course?
The course is highly intensive and offers both a teaching practice placement with current ESOL learners and input sessions on a range of knowledge and skills. In addition, trainees will also be required to:
- complete 6 observations of qualified ESOL teachers, normally on other days of the week or during the evening Monday – Thursday
- undertake 5-10 hours of independent study/ teaching preparation/ assignment writing per week
The course is exciting and demanding and covers communicative language learning theory. You will also be immersed in a teaching context. You will study language and teaching methodology whilst also being assessed on your teaching practice. There is ongoing assessment of your practical teaching skills and you will complete four assignments.
How do I apply?
1) Please download copies of:
2) Please print and complete these
3) Please send hard copies to: Advice and Recruitment Team, Exeter College, Hele Road, Exeter EX4 4JS
4) Please also scan the two documents and forward by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Candidates who submit satisfactory Applications and Pre-selection Tasks will be invited for an interview and assessment
6) Successful applicants will be offered places on the course, and provided with joining instructions
How much is it and what is included in the price?
The course fee is £1460. This includes your Cambridge registration fee, a fee for DBS clearance (all trainees are required to have this) and a photocopying card. It will be possible to pay this in instalments over three months if paying by Direct Debit. Please note that your place on the course is finalised once a non-refundable deposit of £300 is received. You would then pay the £1160 balance before the start of the course or according to the terms of our Payment Plan (currently under review). There is a small number of recommended textbooks to buy.
Click here to view the pay arrangements for 2018-19
When are the interview dates for the next course starting in November 2018?
Provisional dates are:
- June 14th 2018 (am)
- 13th September 2018 (am)
- 27th September 2018 (pm)
- 11th October 2018 (am)
To find out more:
Telephone: 01392 400500 or email: email@example.com
The 5 units of the syllabus are:
- Unit 1 – Learners and Teachers and the Learning and Teaching Context
- Unit 2 – Language Analysis and Awareness
- Unit 3 – Language Skills: Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing
- Unit 4 – Planning and Resources for Different Teaching Contexts
- Unit 5 – Developing Teaching Skills and Professionalism