Free software development course launched for adults at Exeter College
Exeter College is launching a training programme that allows adult learners (18+) the opportunity to retrain in software development – for free.
Starting in November, the Ofsted Outstanding college is offering part time programming courses that will help adults to gain skills and build a portfolio to start a fully-fledged career in the software industry. Learners on the course will be supported get an interview for a job in the industry or progress in their current careers when they finish.
This practical-focused course will run over 16 weeks and is funded in full by the Government. The course starts in November 2021 and is part time, consisting of half a day a week learning with the college’s specialist lecturers. Delivery will be a blend of online lectures and in person workshops within our brand new Digital and Data Centre on our Hele Road Campus.
About the course
The role of a software developer is to plan, build and test robust high-quality code across front end, logic, and database layers. Developers work as part of a team; they are responsible for developing software solutions from design documentation, initial briefs, and business specifications. As part of this course, students will learn the skills to be able to move into their first role in software development.
Below is an example of some of the topics and modules learners will cover.
- Develops logical thinking skills
- The components of writing good quality code and clear syntax
- Distinguish between methodologies
- Can apply functions and simple data types
Developing Programming Knowledge
- Suggested languages to choose from: C#, Swift, or Python
Problem Solving and Analysis
- Solves logical problems
- Structed techniques to problem solving
- Activity workflow
- Best practice approaches across paradigms and languages
- Understands all stages of the development lifecycle
- Can access test results – Unit testing
- User Documentation and user training
- Bugs, change requests and amendments
Design and User Interface
- Introduction to user interface coding and implementation
- Software designs to communicate understanding
- Understands how the database layer integrates with the front-end
- Web hosting and web services, smartphones, tablets and games
- Packaging completed programs as appropriate to the environment
- Migration of different environments – factors of note
- Utilise skills to build, manage and deploy code
Job Roles in this Sector include:
- Web Developer
- Application Developer
- Games Developer
- Mobile App Developer
- Software Developer
- Gesture Recogniser Developer
- Systems Developer
Ready to apply?
Applying online for this course is easy. Simply fill out your details on the form here and we will take it from there! A member of our Advice Team will be in touch to let you know if you have been successful or not. Please note that spaces are limited.
Want to know more?
Need help with deciding whether this is the right course for you or have any more questions? Contact the Exeter College Adult Advice Team on AdultAdvice@exe-coll.ac.uk.
To find out more about what the college can offer you as an adult learner, why not explore the Virtual Exeter College Experience? Or visit us at our next Open Event on Wednesday 13 October. Find out more and pre-register.