Sport (Outdoor Adventure)
Sport (Outdoor Adventure)
This Level 3 course will take your knowledge, skills and experience of the outdoor adventurous activities industry to advanced level.
- Course Type School Leaver
- Subject Area Sport, Fitness and Outdoor Adventure
- Qualification BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 3
- Course Length 2 years
This course combines the practical and theoretical elements of the Outdoor Adventurous Activities Industry and is equivalent to three A Levels. It will prepare you for employment within the Outdoor Adventure industry or to progress on to University to study the subject at a higher level.
This course is ideal if you enjoy and want to develop your skills and leadership in outdoor and adventurous activities. The course is suitable for those that are enthusiastic, hard working and willing to push their comfort zone.
You will be taught at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre. Lectures will be both theoretical and practical. Assessment is all through coursework which will be set by your lecturers. Assessments consists of reports, presentations, practical observations etc.
You will be offered the opportunity to achieve the National Governing Body qualifications in a number of Outdoor Activities. An additional cost will be charged for these, the cost of which is dependent upon the National Governing Body. Those students who have not achieved grade 4 in Maths will be expected to continue towards achieving this whilst on the course.
What topics will I study?
The course consists of 19 units of study which is made up of a number of core and specialist units.
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Leadership in Sport
- Principles and Practices in Outdoor Adventure
- Equipment and Facilities for Outdoor and
- Adventurous Activities
Specialist Units from the following:
- Work Experience
- Impact and Sustainability in Outdoor Adventure
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Leading Land-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Leading Water-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Environmental Education for Outdoor Adventure
- Sports Facilities and Operational Management
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Nutrition
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Organising an Event
- Continue the development of your outdoor activity skills within kayaking, canoeing, climbing, sailing, caving and hill walking and navigation skills
- Develop your leadership skills, practice and experience
- Become competent in assessing and managing equipment, facilities and risk
- Gain advanced skills in a range of water based and land based adventurous activities
- Participate in work experience, study trips and expeditions
- Study topics such as nutrition and sustainable outdoor adventure
What can I study alongside this course?
This course is studied on its own and cannot be combined with other courses, although you will be expected to work towards an appropriate level 2 qualification in maths if you do not have grade 4 at GCSE in this subject.
On completion of this course you may wish to progress to a Foundation Degree or enter the outdoor activities industry directly, either as an Apprentice or through employment.
- Entry Requirements
Standard entry requirements: Grade 4 in English Language. If you do not have a grade 4 in Maths, you will be required to work towards an appropriate Level 2 qualification in this subject. Plus, you will need five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, or equivalent.
Subject specific entry requirements or recommendations: A desire to participate and engage with a range of outdoor activities in a variety of environments and weather conditions. The personal qualities required to work in the outdoor and adventurous activities industry are essential.
You will have access to ourfitness centre at Victoria House. There are refectories and learning centres in the Hele Building and at Victoria House.
- Additional Costs
- You will need to supply your own stationery
- Course fees (£170) to cover instructors NGB training, some residentials, minibus use – see resource leaflet
This further education course is free for all 16-18 year olds who are resident in the UK and the European Economic Area for the last 3 years. (You must be under 19 on 31st August in the calendar year that you start your course). For any fee-related queries or further information, please contact the Advice and Recruitment Team on 01392 400444.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email email@example.com.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Our next Open Event is on Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5pm-8pm. Visit our open events page to register today.