Sport (Outdoor and Adventurous Activities)
Sport (Outdoor and Adventurous Activities)
This Level 2 specialist course builds on your experience of outdoor adventurous activities and starts to develop your leadership and planning skills. Assessment is by assignments, external examinations, observation and written work.
- Course Type School Leaver
- Subject Area Sport, Fitness and Outdoor Adventure
- Qualification BTEC Diploma
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 2
- Course Length 1 year
This is a full time one year course that will enable progression onto the two year Level 3 in Outdoor Adventure or offer a pathway to either an Apprenticeship in Outdoor Education or to work in the industry itself. The course will combine both practical and theoretical elements of the Outdoor Adventure Industry.
This course is ideal if you enjoy both outdoor and adventurous activities as well as learning more about fitness.
You will be taught at both Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre and Exeter College. Lectures will be both theoretical and practical. Assessment will be through coursework which will be compiled in a variety of ways including; written, photographic and practical. In addition there are two externally assessed units through online exams.
You will be offered the opportunity to achieve National Governing Body qualifications in some Outdoor Adventurous Activities. An additional cost will be charged for these, the cost of which is dependent upon the National Governing Body. Those students who have not achieved grade 4 in English or Maths will be expected to continue towards achieving this whilst on the course.
What topics will I study?
Units of study.
The course consists of a total of 11 units of study which is made up of a number of specialist and core units:
- Fitness for sport and exercise
- Practical sport performance
- Carrying out a sports related project
- The mind and sports performance
- The sports performer in action
- Training for personal fitness
- Anatomy and physiology for sports performance
- Practical land based OAA
- Practical water based OAA
- Land based OAA leadership
- Water based OAA leadership
- Participate in a range of activities from kayaking to caving, beginning to take on the role of a guide
- Combine practical work and theory, studying subjects like anatomy and physiology
- Develop your knowledge and ability in fitness testing and training
- Plan and lead a range of sports activities and gain work and expedition experience
- Have opportunities to achieve national governing body qualifications
- Work in our Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre and other local facilities
What can I study alongside this course?
This course is studied on its own and cannot be combined with other courses, although you will be expected to work towards an appropriate Level 2 qualification in English and maths if you do not have Grade 4 at GCSE in these subjects. English and maths lessons could be based at Victoria House – our city centre site which is a 20 minute walk from Haven Banks, or directly at the Centre if available.
You could progress to the Level 3 qualification in Outdoor Adventure, an Outdoor Adventure Apprenticeship or work in the industry.
- Entry Requirements
Standard entry requirements: Grade 3 in English Language and Maths. If you don’t have a grade 4 in English and Maths, you will be required to study for this alongside your course. Plus, you will need three GCSEs at grade 3 or above, or equivalent and two at grade 2 or above.
Subject specific entry requirements or recommendations: You will need the personal qualities for working in the outdoor adventure industry.
You will have access to all of the facilities at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre as well as the Exeter College facilities which include; the learning resource centres refectories, Gym and many others.
- Additional Costs
- Course fees (£170) to cover instructors, minibus use and equipment hire and National Governing Body training and some residentials – see resource leaflet (contact us for a copy)
- You will need to supply your own stationery
This further education course is free for all 16-18 year olds who are resident in the UK and the European Economic Area for the last 3 years. (You must be under 19 on 31st August in the calendar year that you start your course). For any fee-related queries or further information, please contact the Advice and Recruitment Team on 01392 400444.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Our next Open Event is on Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5pm-8pm. Visit our open events page to register today.