IT – Digital Support Services T Level
This course is ideal if you are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable about computer systems and hardware, and want to learn more in the fields of Digital Infrastructure and Support.
- Course Type School Leaver
- Subject Area Information Technology
- Qualification T Level
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 3
- Location Digital and Data Centre, Hele Road site
- Course Length 2 years
T Levels offer a fantastic combination of classroom learning, with a long-term Industry Placement. Assessments come in the form of two short exams in the first year with an Employer Led project, and then through assignments and a long term project in year two.
On this course you will:
- Look at the digital environment and the impact of technology on our modern world, including networked and cloud systems, the evolution of Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality, and the Internet of Things. You will also consider the business context and usages of this technology, thinking about legislation, security, and cultural issues
- Look at the types of digital devices available to businesses and users, how these devices function, and how best to support both the user and their hardware. This includes the bespoke setup of devices for users and organisations and considering how this can be supported on a large scale
- Make use of our Computer Network Lab. Disassemble, build, and upgrade computers. Virtualise computers, and create networks simulating small home setups, to vast setups found in business
- Create and test network cables, and discover how to splice and fuse fibre optics
- Have a long term work placement which you will attend one day per week, and access to other exciting opportunities such as attending the European Games Expo (EGX), visiting Bletchley Park, and participating in a cyber security seminar featuring live demonstrations from local and international guest speakers
This course is ideal if you enjoy using computers and have a career aspiration that might involve cyber security, networking and hardware.
You will be assessed on the course with an external Employer Set Project and 2 core unit exams at the end of year 1. In year 2 you will be assessed via a substantial external Occupational Specialism; your qualification is also dependent on the completion of the industry placement hours.
Next Steps: This T Level will equip you for progression on to our fantastic Higher Technical Education offering, the Higher National Diploma in Computing, but could also lead into Apprenticeship opportunities at Level 3 or Level 4 such as an IT Infrastructure Technician. You could also progress on to university where you could continue your studies in support services or move on to a cyber security focus as a cyber intrusion analyst, or cyber security technologist. Employment opportunities from this T Level could lead into jobs such as a Digital Support Technician, Hardware or Software Solutions Expert, Network Engineer, or Computer Systems Analyst.
- Entry Requirements
You will need a grade 4 (or above) in GCSE English Language and Maths. Plus, you will need four additional GCSEs at grade 4 or above, or equivalent. Learners progressing from a Level 2 course will need a Level 2 Diploma or T Level Foundation course with a good Merit profile, along with English Language and Maths GCSE at grade 4 or above, or equivalent. In addition, learners are expected to have an interest in computers and/or IT, with a career aim in a computing-related field.
We have a well equipped Computer Hardware and Networking lab where you will be able to demonstrate your practical skills, and learn using industry standard equipment and resources. You will have access to a Learning Resource Centre with subject books and loanable equipment, and a student refectory in Victoria House for refreshments.
The Digital and Data Centre is a £10.3million building which opened in July 2021. Complete with digital learning laboratories, state-of-the-art IT suites and interactive seminar spaces, learners have access to cutting edge equipment to help gear them to move directly into industry or further study.
- Additional Costs
There is a resource fee of £30 that will contribute towards equipment used throughout the year.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or send us a message using our contact form: www.exe-coll.ac.uk/contact.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.