Coaching and Fitness
This programme is for those with an interest and experience in coaching, instructing or teaching sport and PE.
- Course Type University Level / Higher Technical Education
- Subject Area Health and Science - HTE
- Qualification Foundation Degree (FdA, FdEng, FdSc)
- Study Mode: Full time or Part time
- Course Level Level 5
- Location Hele Road Centre
- Course Length Two year, full time programme. You can also study part time.
- Start Date September Yearly
- Day Two days a week (usually Monday and Thursday in year one, and Tuesday and Friday in year two)
- Fee £7,795 (full time) or £3,898 (part time)
- Course Code C600 FdSc/CF
This programme is for those with an interest and experience in coaching, instructing or teaching sport and PE. You will study the science behind sporting activity, developing the skills and knowledge needed for careers in the rapidly expanding coaching and fitness industries. The broad perspective of the programme opens up opportunities for employment at higher supervisor/lower management levels within sports centres, health and fitness clubs, in sports development, as personal trainers or in the wider areas of physical education (PE) such as teaching, advising or coordinating.
The programme is delivered by a combination of lectures, seminars, practical sessions, lab sessions and group work. The majority of the programme is assessed through course work which will take the form of written reports, presentations, practical sessions, case studies and seminars. There are some timed assessments and examinations.
You will engage in various visits to Professional Sports Clubs and organisations, engage in Coaching Practice and develop a coaching portfolio alongside accessing guest speakers from the sports and fitness industry.
Topics will include:
Year 1 Modules (click the modules to find out more)
- Principles of coaching and instruction
- Fitness analysis and programming
- Foundations of sports psychology
- Coaching practice
- Sports participation, health and performance
- Coach development
- Study skills
Year 2 Modules
- Physiology of sports performance
- Leadership and management in sport
- Principles of performance coaching
- The fundamentals of strength and conditioning
- Technique analysis of sports performance
- Applied research in work based learning
Click here to view the Programme Handbook: FdSc Coaching and Fitness Course Handbook 2022-23
- Entry Requirements
You will need 64 UCAS tariff points including GCSE grade C or above in English Language and maths (or equivalent). GCSE Science at grade C or above is desirable (or equivalent). If you have another Level 3 qualification it needs to be in an appropriate discipline, for example, BTEC National Diploma in Sport, AS/A Level subjects to include one of Physical Education (PE), Psychology, Biology, Sociology or other qualification such as NVQ 3, CYQ, Massage qualification etc. Sporting involvement is desirable, for example, as coach or competitor. Please note, an A Level in General Studies does not count towards the 64 UCAS Tariff points. GCSE Maths and English is required at grade C (or 4) or above (or equivalent O Level).
You will have access to our fitness centre Sports Hall (off Queen Street), with access to Learning Resource Centres, Study Areas, cafes and computer suites. Students have access to the lab based sports science equipment at Exwick Sports Hub as well as Central Fitness Gym behind Victoria House on Queen Street.
- Additional Costs
Sports Coach UK courses £40 approx (offered in each year). First Aid (optional) £25. Kit £70. CYQ Level 2 course in year 2 (optional) £75.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or send us a message using our contact form: www.exe-coll.ac.uk/contact.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.
You may also like
- Level: Level 6
- Duration: One year full time programme or two year part time programme.
- Level: Level 5
- Duration: This is a two year, full time programme. A part time option is available.
- Level: Level 6
- Duration: This is a 1 year top-up programme or two year, part time programme