What is it like to study this course and how will I be assessed?
An Outdoor Leader Apprentice will instruct and guide people in the outdoors through adventurous activities. Your main responsibility will be to run safe and enjoyable activity sessions.
You must have a passion for leading, as well as for outdoor sports. Inspire a new generation to take up more adventurous sports and promote your favourite sport/sports through this exciting apprenticeship.
What topics will I study?
• How to correctly plan, lead and conclude outdoor activity sessions
• Training in the technical skills of a variety of outdoor activities, such as kayaking, canoeing, caving, archery, etc
• Develop leadership and communication skills with fellow team members and customers
• Learn the Health and Safety measures required when carrying out adventurous activities
• Leading and coaching both land and water activities
• Develop your team working skills when leading activities with other instructors
What experiences will I get?
You will benefit from links with companies across Devon and gain invaluable skills within industry.
What are the entry requirements?
Every employer is different and therefore the entry requirements can vary. As a guide you ideally need GCSE grade 4 or above in English and Maths. However, we will work with you and provide additional support in order to help you achieve the functional skills element or GCSE requirements of the Apprenticeship. Support can be delivered either prior to your Apprenticeship via a traineeship or during the delivery of your programme.
You need to be employed and have a keen interest in outdoor adventurous activities and working in the outdoors with children, teenagers and adults in all types of outdoor environments and weather conditions etc.
What facilities are there?
What can the course lead on to?
Some apprentices go straight into employment as an Outdoor Activity Leader.
Are there any additional costs?
What support can I get?
You will have a dedicated Skills Officer who you can contact at any time. They will visit you in the workplace every 10 weeks to carry out a progress review with you and your employer.
What will this training cost me?
This can vary depending on the age of the Apprentice and the size of an organisation. Please contact a Training and Recruitment Advisor on 01392 400800 for more information.