UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
This intense and exciting year long course gives you the opportunity to explore various art and design approaches, experiment with a range of materials and processes and build a portfolio of work to support progression to Higher Education or the workplace.
- Course Type Post Level 3 Extension Course
- Subject Area Art and Design
- Qualification University of the Arts London (UAL) Diploma
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 3+
- Location Centre for Creative Industries
- Course Length 1 year
- Start Date September Yearly
- End Date June Yearly
- Fee Free to 18 year olds, then £5421
- Reduced Fee
- Course Code Please note that you will not be able to apply via UCAS for this course.
Running this University of the Arts London Awarding Body qualification, allows us to keep up to date with contemporary developments in both our provision and with regard to what is happening in the wider art world.
You will gain an insight into a wide range of disciplines, such as painting, printmaking, 3D making, fashion and textiles, architecture, photography, film, illustration, graphic design and drawing.
The qualification is divided into three parts and is unit and coursework based, with work being assessed at key points during the year. All students are supported by lecturers with a subject specialism and a personal tutor who will offer a high level of tutorial support and guidance. A critical and contextual programme supports studio practice alongside practical teaching and activity.
On this course you will:
- Explore new ways of working in your studio practice, backed up by critical and contextual academic study
- Have the opportunity to visit regional, national and international galleries
- Build a portfolio of work to take you to the next stage of your career
- Show off your talents and exhibit your work in the Summer Show
Topics will include:
- Student-centred modules increasing both the depth and breadth of study
- Encouragement of unfamiliar and thought-provoking methods of working extends visual awareness
- New materials and processes will be introduced and students encouraged to explore, experiment, investigate and analyse
- Support in making informed choices concerning future specialism and progression opportunities, and individual support with UCAS for those keen to progress to higher education
- A belief in personal expression and the development of the individual is at the heart of the programme
- Entry Requirements
You should normally have a minimum of five subjects at GCSE and usually have studied at A Level or have completed a BTEC or National Diploma in Art and Design programme. You will have to present a portfolio of work at interview that demonstrates an interest in and a curiosity about the visual world and a desire to communicate this to a wider audience.
Please note, to study this course you will need to be aged 17 to 19 years of age. You will also need to provide us with references as part of the application process. Click on the Apply button above to begin your application.
Those who are 19+ who already have a full Level 3 qualification have the option to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan of £5,421 to cover the cost of the course, with a £95 studio fee to be paid in addition.
For those over 19 years of age please consider applying for the Access to HE Diploma – Art and Design with us – click here for more information.
The Art and Design Department has eighteen art studios, a Print workshop, a Ceramics workshop, a 3D workshop, Photographic darkrooms, Photoshop and PremierPro software on PCs.
- Additional Costs
Additional costs include a £30 Caution, an Exam fee and a studio fee (TBC).
N.B. Entrants who are 16-18 years old on 31st August will pay studio fee (TBC) and £30 Caution only.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or send us a message using our contact form: www.exe-coll.ac.uk/contact.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.