ACE League Fixture Match Report – Exeter College V SGS Filton College

Exeter College 24 v 15 SGS Filton College

Exeter College took to the road this week in a trip up the M5 to SGS Filton College where they returned victorious in a hard-earned win.

After their euphoria from last week’s victory, Exeter were brought down with a bump when within less than a minute they found themselves behind their own posts after conceding a try. A good kick chase forced Filton to clear their lines but a couple of mistakes which the home side swooped on and forced their way over for the score. The conversion was missed, however, before the 10 minute mark had passed they had increased their lead with a converted try.

The Bristol based team stretched the visitors to one side of pitch before heading to the other side and with a great off load out of the back they ran in under the posts for an easy conversion and a 12 – 0 lead.

Next came the turning point in the game when one of the Filton props was shown a red card to take them down to 14 men with still 55 minutes to play.

The man advantage gave Exeter the lift they needed, a move off a scrum saw debutant Jeremy Tuima break the line and accelerate into the space in front of him, he threw the dummy to steal a few more meters before releasing full back Charlie Groves who used his pace to squeeze himself into the corner for the try. A great touch line conversion from fly half Harrison Greenslade closed the gap on the host’s lead.

Exeter then started to get more into the game and Greenslade made the first 50 – 22 kick for the college in an ACE fixture giving Exe the lineout deep in Filton’s 22 meter. After several minutes camped on the line and putting pressure on the home team’s defence hooker Jack Ballett managed to force himself over for a try. Centre Louie Drennan converted the try to give the visitors the lead for the 1st time going into half time 12 – 14.

The opening 10 minutes of the second half was a cagey affair and it was Filton who took the lead once more with a penalty in front of the posts. A few minutes later Drennan claimed the lead back for Exeter with a penalty before the defining try that managed to break the resolve of the 14 man Filton team.

From a lineout just inside their own half, the ball was given off the top to scrum half Morgan Stone who spotted a gap and darted through. His speed took him past the covering forwards and a well-timed pass to beat the last defender allowed Drennan to run under the posts to score. Greenslade added the conversion to make it 15 – 24.

Neither team could add to their tally but Exeter went close several times but the home team never gave up and battled right to the end.

Next week sees a return to Flowerpots Field with four home games against Truro College, with the Exeter College Exonians and Exeter College RAMMs kicking off on pitch 1 and 2 at 1.15pm and the ACE fixture on pitch 1 and the Exeter College Iscans on pitch 2, kicking off at 2.45pm.

Exeter College Team that faced SGS Filton College:

1: Kyle McGhee, 2: Jack Ballett, 3: Tom Gulley, 4: Ed Spurway, 5: Joe Bailey (Capt), 6: Ellis Kershaw, 7: Luca Barbot, 8: Charlie Parr, 9: Max Fergusson, 10: Harrison Greenslade, 11: Isaiah Akinrowo, 12: Louie Drennan, 13: Jeremy Tuima, 14: Reuban Brinkley, 15: Charlie Groves, Replacements: 16 Henry Roberts, 17: Callum Arnold, 18: Ollie Willis, 19: Levi Richards, 20: Morgan Stone, 21: Jack Mitchell

Tries; Groves (22), Ballett (34), Drennan (60)

Conversions; Greenslade (23, 61), Drennan (35)

Penalties; Drennan (50)