Vehicle Maintenance and Repair – Light Vehicle
This course is designed for those who would like to find a job in the light vehicle automotive industry. You must achieve all learning outcomes for all units. You will be assessed by IMI practical assessments, centre devised assessment methods and IMI external testing.
- Course Type School Leaver
- Subject Area Automotive
- Qualification IMIAL Subsidiary/Extended Diploma
- Study Mode: Full Time Only
- Course Level Level 2
- Course Length 1 year
This IMIAL Level 2 Subsidiary Diploma is designed to provide the skills and knowledge to improve your chance of finding a job in the light vehicle automotive industry. It can also help to fast-track students into an Intermediate Apprenticeship. GCSE retakes, Level 2 Functional Skills and workshop sessions are an essential part of this course.
Assessment of each unit is made up of three components – IMI Practical Assessments, Centre Devised Assessment Methods and IMI External Testing.
What topics will I study?
- Study health and safety, tools and materials, automotive job roles, engines and related systems, vehicle transmission, vehicle electrics and chassis and associated systems
- Use the latest equipment and vehicles in a realistic, industry standard environment
- Take optional, additional courses in hybrid and electric vehicle technology
- Develop soft skills, such as communication and employer expectations, to prepare you for the industry
- Have opportunities for work experience alongside your studies
- Gain the practical skills needed to complete your GCSE English and Maths
Learners will also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage.
What experiences will I get?
The course is structured to allow you to find a work experience opportunity alongside your college training. This may significantly improve your chances of progressing as an apprentice at the end of this course.
This course is studied on its own and cannot be combined with other courses.
After studying the Subsidiary Diploma in the first year, you could progress either to the Extended Diploma for a further year or to a Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Apprenticeship. From the Extended Diploma you could progress to the BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Vehicle Technology or an Apprenticeship.
- Entry Requirements
Standard entry requirements: Grade 4 in English Language and Maths. Plus, you will need three GCSEs at grade 3 or above in relevant subjects, or equivalent.
Subject specific entry requirements or recommendations: We will also consider your existing academic or vocational qualifications and experience and interest in working in the industry.
- A large new fully equipped workshop
- Vehicles which are less than five years old
- A state of the art automotive diagnostic laboratory with test simulators and rigs
- A dedicated IT laboratory with internet access
- Specific automotive training classrooms
A £8.3 million Technology Centre at Monkerton opened in September 2012. The centre combines the training and teaching of aerospace, engineering and automotive students with access to state of the art equipment within world class facilities. The centre houses the latest vehicles and automotive training resources. You will have access to a learning resource centre.
- Additional Costs
You will be required to have boots, overalls and Polo shirts which are ordered through our supplier. You will also have to pay £50 to cover faculty materials.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email email@example.com.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Our next Open Event is on Wednesday 15th January 2020, 5pm-8pm. Visit our open events page to register today.