Visa Requirements

UK Immigration Policy changes regularly, we recommend that all International students visit the UK government website for the most up to date information and guidance. 
UK Visas and Immigration – GOV.UK ( 

Do I need a Visa to study in the UK?  

From the 1 January 2021 if you are a national of any country outside of the UK you will need a visa to study in the UK.  

What type of Visa do I need?  

You will need a Student Visa. You can apply for your student visa once you have been offered a place from your recognised sponsor – Exeter College. To apply for a student visa, you must be 16 or over. For more information on Student Visa’s please visit the UK government website.   

What do I need to apply for a student visa?

Exeter College is your official student visa sponsor. Once you have successfully completed your Exeter College application, you will be issued a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Study) which contains a unique identifying number for you to apply for your visa.  

Important information:  

  • You cannot apply for a Visa without your CAS number. 
  • The college will not issue your CAS until you have paid your tuition fees. 
  • The college cannot issue your CAS more than 6 months in advance of your course start date. 
  • You will need to complete and show proof of your English Language test certificate before we issue your CAS.   

Once you have received your Unique CAS number you can apply for your student visa online.  

Before applying for your visa make sure you read the student visa guidance for more information and check if there is any accompanying paperwork for you to complete before your appointment.  

For example, you may need to show maintenance fees to demonstrate you are able to fund your course. The maintenance fees need to be on your (or your parents) bank account for at least 28 days prior to application.  

Once you have received your visa please inform the college.  

Before arrival please send us your online unique reference number or on arrival you will need to show us the vignette inside your passport.  

Once you have received your visa and arrived in country, you will be issued a BRP card (a Biometric Residence Permit).  

On your application it is important that you select Post Office WHSmith’s Guildhall Shopping Centre Exeter for us to collect your BRP card in your first week of college.  

On your first day at college you will need to show us the following documentation: 

  • Your passport 
  • Your Vignette or Share Code  
  • Your Boarding pass (where applicable)   

Help and Advice

Applying for your visa may seem daunting. However, to ensure your application is successful and to help you along the way, we recommend you do the following:  

• Contact an Immigration Advisor in your own country  
• Visit UK Visas and Immigration Website  
• Visit UKCISA website