Public Services FdSc
Public Services FdSc
The Foundation Degree programme covers topics relevant to a wide variety of public service careers.
- Course Type University Level
- Subject Area Healthcare, Childcare and Public Services
- Qualification Foundation Degree (FdA, FdEng, FdSc)
- Study Mode: Full time or Part time
- Course Level Level 5
- Location Hele Road Centre
- Course Length 2 years (Full time), 3 years (Part time)
- Start Date September Yearly
- Day The contact time takes place over two consecutive days but hours can vary from one to two full days.
- Fee Full time - £7,495 or Part time - £4,997
- Course Code L430 FdSc/PS
The programme covers topics relevant to a wide variety of public service careers, including those in the emergency services, armed forces, county councils, probation and prison service, voluntary sector, and private sector organisations. You will undertake a 60 hourwork experience placement and research project and benefit from the college’s strong links with local voluntary and public service organisations. The programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge to be of immediate value as a public services or private sector employee, or if you are already working in any of these sectors and are looking for professional development.
You will gain valuable insight into the public services from a range of guest speakers and lecturing staff with service experience. Teaching will include lectures, seminars, tutorials, presentations and guided research. Employers will be involved in practical activities and assessments and you will visit a variety of public service organisations.
Topics will include:
Year one modules –
- The English Legal System
- Introduction to Social Policy
- Personal and Professional Development
- Political Economy – Governance and Policy
- Organisational Behaviour
- Diversity: Values and Rights
Year two modules –
- Understanding Deviancy, Crime and its Effects
- Health and Wellbeing
- Communication and Customer Care
- Contemporary Issues
- Public Sector Performance Management
- Research Project
This programme is awarded by the University of Plymouth.
Completion of this programme allows you to progress on to the following options:
- Entry Requirements
You will need 64 UCAS tariff points (minimum) from AS, A Level or AVCE programmes, BTEC National/Extended Diploma/Certificate – grades MPP/MM, GNVQ Advanced, an appropriate NVQ at Level 3, an Access qualification or other qualifications deemed equivalent to the above. GCSE Maths and English is required at grade C (or 4) or above (or equivalent O Level).
You will have access to a learning centre, college gym and cafes, plus higher education study and social areas.
- Additional Costs
Other costs would include the purchase of recommended textbooks, any travel expenses to and from Exeter College, any costs arising from visiting, for example, public services, courts of justice, special events, Plymouth University campus.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email email@example.com.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.
You may also like
- Level: Level 5
- Duration: 2 years (Full time) or 3 years (Part time)
- Level: Level 6
- Duration: This is a 1 year full time programme or a two year part time programme.
- Level: Level 5
- Duration: 2 years (Full time), 3 years (Part time)