DIY for Beginners
DIY for Beginners
This is a hands on practical course for beginners or those with some experience.
- Course Type Adult - Leisure
- Subject Area Construction and the Built Environment
- Qualification N/A
- Study Mode: Part Time Only
- Course Level Beginners
- Location Construction Centre
- Course Length 8 weeks
- Start Date See below
- End Date See below
- Day Tuesday
- Times 6pm – 9:00pm
- Fee £249
- Reduced Fee
- Course Code X0EDIYB0/1/A
- Tuesday 25th January to 22nd March 2022 – 8 weeks – F0PDIYB0/1/2
- Tuesday 3rd May to 28th June 2022 – 8 weeks – F0PDIYB0/1/3
This course is designed for adults who are looking for an introduction to the basics of DIY such as laying wall and floor tiles, repairing plastered walls, laying bricks and blocks, cutting and forming timber joints, undertaking simple plumbing tasks as well as developing knowledge skills and confidence using a variety of hand tools, materials and equipment.
- Students will have informal assessment and feedback from the tutor. Students will not have access to machinery during these classes.
- Activities may include some or all of the following (similar format for all three terms, format is flexible and may vary):
- Health and safety guidance will be given in relation to each trade
- Introduction to wall and floor tiling and grouting
- Basic wood joints; measuring, cutting, simple joints, architrave and skirting
- Brick wall construction, laying bricks, blocks, mixing and pointing
- Basic plumbing skills, taps, radiator bleeding, repressurising a central heating system, repairing simple toilet and sink faults, basic soldering tasks
- Basic decorating skills, wallpapering, preparing and painting wood surfaces, repairing damaged wall surfaces
There are other construction courses available such as Carpentry and Bricklaying.
- Entry Requirements
None, all welcome. All students on construction courses are required to have their own steel-toed shoes. Overalls or a change of clothing must be brought to each lesson.
Learners will be given a college ID badge and have access to all college facilities, including learning centres and computers.
- Additional Costs
None, all materials are included.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email email@example.com.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.