Access to Art and Design
Access to Art and Design
The Access course has been designed for those adults who feel they missed out on higher education when they were younger or would like a change of career.
- Course Type Access
- Subject Area Art and Design
- Qualification Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Study Mode: Part Time Only
- Course Level Level 3
- Location Centre for the Creative Industries
- Course Length 1 year
- Start Date September Yearly
- End Date July Yearly
- Day 3 days per week - TBC
- Times 9.00am-4.30pm (Hours may vary)
- Fee £3,928 plus £30 Resource
- Reduced Fee See below
This programme aims to provide a firm foundation for study at degree level.Study skills and educational guidance form essential parts of the course.
Tutorial sessions support learners and offer guidance with the UCAS process and study skills.
The Diploma is taught by subject specialist teaching staff in a supportive environment to develop the academic skills necessary to progress onto higher education.You will have homework and assignment work set each week with strict deadlines. There is at least 20 hours of additional study at home each week. Additional support is available for students for particular difficulties/needs.
There is also:
- a Learning Support team
- Learning Centres
- Well-being team (Counsellors)
- a Learner Support Fund (apply through college)
- designated study space specifically for our HE and Access to HE students
*2021-22 fees for Access to Higher Education courses are dependent on your age, circumstances and chosen course. Click here to view more information about fees.
This course is eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan, which may be written off if you continue your studies in to higher education at college or university. For more information click here.
You may be entitled to support towards the fee, please phone 01392 400170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
The course comprises units of study in a range of art and design disciplines.
Units may include:
- Painting and Drawing – using a range of mediums
- Photography – studio and location-based photography using digital and film cameras
- Graphic Design – typography and graphic design incorporating the use of computer design software
- Ceramics – creating forms with clay using a range of techniques
- Textiles – dying and printing onto cloth
- Printmaking – using a range of techniques including screen printing
- Sculpture – using a range of materials and toolsStudents will develop skills in researching and analysing existing artwork to inform their own work.
The modules are chosen to give a broad based understanding of art and design and a grounding in a range of skills. Learners also study IT and study skills.
All Access students will also be enrolled on a supplementary IT course, at no extra cost. The ITQ qualification has been designed to enhance and polish IT skills for use in the real world and is vital for university and future careers.
For the full credit breakdown for this course click here.
- Entry Requirements
GCSE English Grade C (or Grade 4) or above.
Some universities will also require you to have GCSE Maths grade C or grade 4 or above before applying; this will mean you will need to complete this before starting the Access Diploma. Please check this before applying to the Access diploma.
The Art and Design Department has eighteen art studios, a Print workshop, a Ceramics workshop, a 3D workshop, Photographic darkrooms, Photoshop and PremierPro software on PCs. You will also have access to the college Learning Centres. There areLearning Lounges specifically for Access to HE and HE students.
- Additional Costs
As well as the course fees, applicants need to factor in food, travel, books and stationery and printing costs. Applications for our college Learner Support Fund or the Bursary Fund are advisable for applicants who know that they may struggle financially. There will also be UCAS fees and a college materials fee of £30.
Please be aware that there are no car parking facilities at Exeter College city centre sites, but public car parks are available across the city.
Have a question?
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone, our team of Customer Service Advisers can help answer your questions or direct your enquiry to the correct team.
Speak to us today on 01392 400500 or email email@example.com.
Ready to find out more?
Why not come along to one of our open events, a chance to explore our facilities, ask questions about our courses and find out more about being a student at Exeter College. Visit our open events page to find out more today.