What is it like to study this course and how will I be assessed?
Engineering Technicians are involved in highly skilled and complex work. They will be able to make a technical contribution to either the design, development, manufacture, installation, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes and services. Apprentices will apply proven techniques to solve engineering problems across a range of job roles within the engineering sector.
What topics will I study?
Topics will include:
• How to use engineering knowledge and applying technical and practical skills
• Helping design, develop, manufacture, build, commission, operate or maintain products, equipment, processes, systems or services
• Industry regulations
• Computer Aided Design (CAD) methods and applications
• CNC machine tools
• Mathematical techniques, formula and calculation involved in the machining process
• Read and interpret data used to produce machined components
• Effectiveness of repairs and maintenance
• Manufacture and repair of tooling, moulds, dies jigs and fixtures
• Produce engineering / manufacturing production plans
• Produce programs for programmable logic control equipment and for industrial robot applications
What experiences will I get?
You will benefit from links with companies across Devon and gain invaluable skills within industry.
What are the entry requirements?
Learners should ideally have English and Maths GCSE’s at Grade C/4 and above.
What facilities are there?
Apprentices have access to all facilities across college. These include the college Learning Resource Centres and the College Gym.
What can the course lead on to?
This course can lead to a Level 4 higher Apprenticeship, HNC or HND.
Are there any additional costs?
What support can I get?
You will have a dedicated Skills Officer who you can contact at any time. They will visit you in the workplace every 10 weeks to carry out a progress review with you and your employer.
What will this training cost me?
This can vary depending on the age of the Apprentice and the size of an organisation. There will be no cost to the Apprentice.