What is it like to study this course and how will I be assessed?
Please note this Apprenticeship was formerly known as Professional Cookery.
As an Advanced Apprentice you will develop your technical skills and knowledge via a technical certificate to an advanced level. You will produce a wide range of complex dishes and develop your supervisory skills to meet the requirements of a first class hotel or restaurant. You will also study Functional Skills Application of Number and Communication and these will be completed in line with the apprenticeship framework. As an apprentice you will hold a full time job as a trainee chef in a restaurant or hotel and attend college one day a week for the 2 years of your course.
At college you will learn through lectures and workshops while you spend the remainder of your week at your workplace where you will put your new skills into practice. You will be assessed by your Training Officer and tutor in a variety of ways, including exams and practical assignments. You may also be assessed by your Line Manager as you undertake your responsibilities.
During the course of your apprenticeship you will cover the following units:
- Establish and develop positive working relationships in hospitality
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Prepare fish for complex dishes
- Prepare meat for complex dishes
- Prepare poultry for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish dressings and cold sauces
- Plus a minimum of four optional units which could include pasta, bread and dough products, pastry or desserts.
You will also complete a Technical Certificate "Level 3 Award in Hospitality and Catering Principles" as part of your course. During your course you will also complete an Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) assignment and a Technical Certificate and Personal Learning and Thinking Skills assignment.